Year(s) Discussed: 1976-1988
Super Tuesday happens at least once every four years in the modern US presidential election cycle, but how much does anyone really know about this date on the campaign calendar? In this episode, I explore the history of Super Tuesday and how it impacted numerous presidential elections in the past.
Special thanks to Jessica and Howard from Plodding Through the Presidents, Peter from Badger State: A Wisconsin History Podcast, and Robin for providing the intro quotes for this episode!
- Black, Christine M, and Thomas Oliphant. All by Myself: The Unmaking of a Presidential Campaign. Chester, CT: The Globe Pequot Press, 1989.
- Brands, H W. Reagan: The Life. New York: Doubleday, 2015.
- Busch, Andrew E. Reagan’s Victory: The Presidential Election of 1980 and the Rise of the Right. Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 2005.
- Cannon, James. Gerald R. Ford: An Honorable Life. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press, 2013.
- Carter, Jimmy. White House Diary. New York: Picador, 2011 .
- CBS News Staff. “Super Tuesday At A Glance.” CBS News. 6 Mar 2000. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/super-tuesday-at-a-glance/ [Last Accessed: 12 Feb 2020]
- Dole, Robert. “29 Feb 1988, Dole Presidential Campaign Speech.” C-SPAN. https://www.c-span.org/video/?1823-1/dole-presidential-campaign-speech [Last Accessed: 21 Feb 2020]
- Edwards, Elizabeth. Saving Graces: Finding Solace and Strength From Friends and Strangers. New York: Broadway Books, 2006.
- Germond, Jack W, and Jules Witcover. Blue Smoke and Mirrors: How Reagan Won and Why Carter Lost the Election of 1980. New York: Viking Press, 1981.
- Germond, Jack W, and Jules Witcover. Whose Broad Stripes and Bright Stars? The Trivial Pursuit of the Presidency 1988. New York: Warner Books, 1989.
- Glenn, John, and Nick Taylor. John Glenn: A Memoir. New York: Bantam Books, 1999.
- Mayer, Jane, and Doyle McManus. Landslide: The Unmaking of the President 1984-1988. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Co, 1988.
- Meacham, Jon. Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George Herbert Walker Bush. New York: Random House, 2015.
- Mondale, Walter, and David Hage. The Good Fight: A Life in Liberal Politics. New York: Scribner, 2010.
- Reagan, Nancy, and William Novak. My Turn: The Memoirs of Nancy Reagan. New York: Random House, 1989.
- Reeves, Richard. President Reagan: The Triumph of Imagination. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2005.
- Tarr, David R, et al. Guide to U.S. Elections, Sixth Edition, Volume I. Washington, DC: CQ Press, 2010.
- United Press International. “Ford, Carter head into crucial Super Tuesday.” Lodi News-Sentinel. 3 Jun 1976. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Oe1fAAAAIBAJ&sjid=YzIHAAAAIBAJ&dq=super-tuesday&pg=6816%2C3038734 [Last Accessed: 27 Jan 2020]
- White, Theodore H. America in Search of Itself: The Making of the President, 1956-1980. New York: Harper & Row, 1982.
- Witcover, Jules. Marathon: The Pursuit of the Presidency 1972-1976. New York: Viking Press, 1977.
- Zelnick, Bob. Gore: A Political Life. Washington, DC: Regnery, 1999.
Featured Image: “Republican Debate with Ronald Reagan, Philip Crane, George Bush and John Anderson with moderator Eric Sevareid in Chicago, Illinois.” [13 Mar 1980], courtesy of Wikipedia
Featured Image: “Senator Edward Kennedy meets with Jimmy Carter.” [5 Dec 1977], courtesy of Wikipedia