Year(s) Discussed: 1797-1800
The French Directory falls, and the three US peace commissioners are left with many questions as to how to proceed before they even arrive in Paris. Meanwhile, the US government considers a change in its policy towards the Barbary States, and the USS Constellation engages French naval forces once more in the Caribbean.
Special thanks to Alex for providing the intro quote for this episode!
- Adams, John. “To Cotton Tufts, 1 January 1800,” Founders Online, National Archives, version of January 18, 2019, https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Adams/99-03-02-0548. [Last Accessed: 8 Mar 2019]
- DeConde, Alexander. The Quasi-War: The Politics and Diplomacy of the Undeclared War with France, 1797-1801. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1966.
- Doyle, William. The Oxford History of the French Revolution. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1989.
- Ford, Worthington Chauncey, ed. Writings of John Quincy Adams, Vol. II 1796-1801. New York: The MacMillan Co, 1913.
- Hill, Peter P. William Vans Murray, Federalist Diplomat: The Shaping of Peace with France 1797-1801. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 1971.
- Lambert, Frank. The Barbary Wars: American Independence in the Atlantic World. New York: Hill and Wang, 2007 .
- Landry, Jerry. The Presidencies of the United States. 2018-2019. http://presidencies.blubrry.com.
- McCullough, David. John Adams. New York: Simon and Schuster, 2001.
- McDonald, Forrest. The Presidency of George Washington. Lawrence, KS; Manhattan, KS; and Wichita, KS: The University Press of Kansas, 1974 .
- Miller, Hunter. “The Barbary Treaties 1786-1816, Tunis 1797: Hunter Miller’s Notes.” Avalon Project. Yale University. Source: Treaties and Other International Acts of the United States of America. Edited by Hunter Miller, Volume 2, Documents 1-40 : 1776-1818, Washington : Government Printing Office, 1931. http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/bar1797n.asp#n5 [Last Accessed: 8 Mar 2019]
- Schom, Alan. Napoleon Bonaparte. New York: HarperCollins, 1998 .
- Toll, Ian W. Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy. New York and London: W W Norton & Co, 2006.
- Toth, Michael C. Founding Federalist: The Life of Oliver Ellsworth. Wilmington, DE: ISI Books, 2018 .
Featured Image: “Les trois consuls de la Constitution de l’an VIII (de gauche à droite : Cambacérès, Bonaparte, Lebrun)” by Henri-Nicolas Van Gorp [c. 1803], courtesy of Wikipedia