Year(s) Discussed: 1783-1797
In this episode, we get caught up on the international situation around the time of Adams’s inauguration and the various issues that conditions beyond its borders bring up for the United States. Britain is faced with attacks from both at home and abroad. The French Directory stumbles along as two leaders arise. Toussaint L’Ouverture contemplates the future of Saint-Domingue. Various European powers conspire to threaten American sovereignty west of the Appalachians.
Special thanks to Ben Jacobs of the Wittenberg to Westphalia podcast for providing this episode’s intro quote!
- Abernethy, Thomas P. The South in the New Nation 1789-1819: A History of the South, Volume IV. Wendell Holmes Stephenson and E Merton Coulter, eds. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 1961.
- Bernard, J F. Talleyrand: A Biography. New York: G P Putnam’s Sons, 1973.
- Blackburn, Robin. “Haiti, Slavery, and the Age of the Democratic Revolution.” William and Mary Quarterly. 3rd Series, 63:4 (October 2006) 643-674.
- Brown, Ralph Adams. The Presidency of John Adams. Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 1989 .
- Chew, Richard S. “Certain Victims of an International Contagion: The Panic of 1797 and the Hard Times of the Late 1790s in Baltimore.” Journal of the Early Republic. 25:4 [Winter 2005] 565-613.
- Cleves, Rachel Hope. “’Jacobins in this Country’: The United States, Great Britain, and Trans-Atlantic Anti-Jacobinism.” Early American Studies. 8:2 (Spring 2010) 410-445.
- Dodd, Anna Bowman. Talleyrand: The Training of a Statesman, 1754-1838. New York and London: G P Putnam’s Sons, 1927.
- Doyle, William. The Oxford History of the French Revolution. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1989.
- Dubois, Laurent. A Colony of Citizens: Revolution & Slave Emancipation in the French Caribbean, 1787-1804. Chapel Hill and London: University of North Carolina Press, 2004.
- Ehrman, John. The Younger Pitt Volume I: The Years of Acclaim. London: Constable & Co, 1969.
- Ehrman, John. The Younger Pitt Volume III: The Consuming Struggle. London: Constable & Co, 1996.
- King, Rufus. “To George Washington, 6 February 1797,” Founders Online, National Archives, last modified June 13, 2018, http://founders.archives.gov/documents/Washington/99-01-02-00257. [Last Accessed: 31 Jul 2018]
- Linklater, Andro. An Artist in Treason: The Extraordinary Double Life of General James Wilkinson. New York: Walker Publishing Co, 2009.
- Nagel, Paul C. John Quincy Adams: A Public Life, a Private Life. New York: Alfred A Knopf, 1997.
- Perkins, Bradford. The First Rapprochement: England and the United States, 1795-1805. Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1955.
- Schom, Alan. Napoleon Bonaparte. New York: HarperCollins, 1998 .
- Tyson, George F, Jr., ed. Toussaint L’Ouverture. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1973.
- White, Ashli. Encountering Revolution: Haiti and the Making of the Early Republic. Baltimore and London: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2012.
Featured Image: “Bataille gagnée par le Général Bonaparte le 14 Janvier 1797”, Henri Félix Emmanuel Philippoteaux [c. 1844], courtesy of Wikipedia